Sunday, October 06, 2013

Gluten Free CHINESE!!

Since we have both gone gluten free Steve has complained over and over again that he misses Chinese food.  And by Chinese food he didn't mean soy sauce and rice and veggies, he meant noodles and breaded chicken orange chicken.  I was waiting at the doctors office a couple weeks ago and was looking through a health magazine when I found a Vegetable Lo Mein recipe!


Gluten-Free Vegetable Lo Mein

8 ounces gluten free spaghetti
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons soy free soy sauce (I use San-J Tamari)
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon oil
16 ounces mix stir fry veggies (I bought fresh peppers and broccoli and onions and sliced them up)
2 cups mung sprouts (optional)
3 scallions, chopped (I left these out)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
Pinch of salt

  1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta.  Drain and set aside.  In a bowl combine broth, soy sauce, and honey, whisking to dissolve.  Add cornstarch and whisk well.  Stir in red pepper flakes and set aside. (I made extra sauce since we like our pasta saucy)
  2. Heat a nonstick wok over high heat and add oil, heating until almost smoking.  Add veggies, sprouts, and scallions and cook 2 minutes.  Add garlic and ginger and saute for 2 minutes.  Toss in pasta, then sprinkle with salt and cook until heated through. 
  3. Add broth mixture and simmer, stirring often, for 4 minutes until sauce has thickened.

I also made gluten free orange chicken.  I do not have a good recipe for this yet, still in the trial and error phase.  I used Applegate gluten free chicken nuggets and San-J gluten free orange sauce.  I precooked the nuggets and then added both the nuggets and sauce, with a couple small cloves of minced garlic, in the crock pot but the sauce became to thick and started to burn so we had to add water.  It turned out fine, but not great! 


 Enjoy!
Bry


No comments:

Post a Comment