Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A New Start!

Wow!  It has been a year since my last post.  So much has happened this past year.  First I finished school and am now working.  I am working in childcare at a few different places.  I work in a church nursery, as a part time nanny and over see a childcare at a wonderful dance studio called Diva Den Studio.  I am also in the process of planning a wedding.  Meaning right now my life includes working, wedding planning, and keeping my fiance happy with delicious gluten free meals. 
 

Steve and I have been working to be healthy.  Especially with our diets.  I am extremely proud of Steve, who has been gluten free for 11 months and is currently at his lowest weight in years!  These two recipes are a couple of our favorites. 

I heard about wedge salads a few months ago and I have loved making them.  They are gorgeous and add a new flare to a regular salad!  What is great about salads is there is no real "recipe".  Be creative!

 What you need:
  • a head of ice berg lettuce (cut into fourths)
  • salad toppings
  • favorite dressing
Pull the core out of the lettuce and wash it.  Cut into fourths and pull out a little bit of the middle pieces and cover with toppings.  This was Steve's salad so it has cheese, bacon, hard boiled eggs.  I usually add shredded chicken.  You can also add veggies and seeds.  Then add some of your favorite dressing.  A fork and knife is definitely needed to eat this delicious meal.  

Yes those are cookies in the background!  On rare occasions I will buy a package of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free chocolate chip cookies!  YUMMY!


This next meal is definitely not one you would consider "healthy", but it is a treat in our house.  Like many Americans I enjoy a nice bowl of mac and cheese.  Unfortunately when you are gluten free mac and cheese is way to expensive!  No way I am spending $5 for a small box of macaroni.  I found this very gluten full recipe of macaroni and cheese on The Pioneer Woman.  With a few wonderful modifications I have made this a wonderful gluten free meal!
*This recipe makes a lot of macaroni!  I usually only make half the recipe or we eat left overs for a few days!

Ingredients

  • 4 cups Dried Gluten Free Macaroni (I buy white rice elbow pasta in bulk at WINCO)
  • 1 whole Egg Beaten
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 Stick Or 4 Tablespoons) Butter
  • 1/4 cup All-purpose Gluten Free Flour (Bob's Red Mill or Pamela's both work wonderfully)
  • 2-1/2 cups Milk
  • 2 teaspoons (heaping) Dry Mustard, More If Desired
  • 1 pound Cheese, Grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon Seasoned Salt, More To Taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
  • Optional Spices: Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Thyme

Preparation Instructions

Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.
In a small bowl, beat egg.
In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.
Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.
Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
Add in cheese and stir to melt.
Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDER SALT.
Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.


Enjoy!

Bry

No comments:

Post a Comment